Saturday 2021.09.18
This morning I read all three chapters of the short book of the prophet Joel in the OT. For my NT reading, I started reading the book of Revelation, covering the first three chapters.
The prophet Joel ben Pethuel is an "unknown" prophet. He is not mentioned anywhere else in the Bible. Likewise, little is known about when the book of Joel was written. I tried looking for some background information on this book but failed to gather anything substantial.
While reading through the three chapters, I noticed that the prophecies are directed only at "Judah and Jerusalem", and there is no mention of the kingdom of Israel nor the city of Samaria. This led me to conclude that Joel ben Pethuel was called to prophesy only to the people of the kingdom of Judah and the city of Jerusalem.
Although the prophet Joel ben Pethuel is largely unknown, his prophecies in this book are quoted or referred to in many New Testament references. The table below shows some of these references:
| Cross-references | |
|---|---|
| Joel 1:6 | Rev 9:8 |
| Joel 2:4–5 | Rev 9:7–9 |
| Joel 2:10 | Rev 8:12 |
| Joel 2:11 | Rev 6:17 |
| Joel 2:28–32 | Acts 2:17–21 |
| Joel 2:31 | Mt 24:29 Mk 13:24–25 Lk 21:25 Rev 6:12–13 |
| Joel 2:32 | Rom 10:13 |
| Joel 3:4–8 | Mt 11:21–22 Lk 10:13–14 |
| Joel 3:13 | Rev 14:14–16 Rev 14:19–20 Rev 19:15 |
Tomorrow I will begin reading the book of Amos using the New International Version.
Today's Passages:
Joel 1:1 - 3:21 GNB -- Amos NIV
Revelation 1:1 - 3:22 NKJV